Metlink is the Wellington region’s high-quality public transport network of bus, train and harbour ferry service. The Metlink network has 4 rail lines, over 100 bus routes, more than 200 school bus services, and 4 harbour ferry stops.
A Total Mobility scheme provides discounted taxi fares to those people who have difficulty accessing the regular services.
Greater Wellington Regional Council contracts operators to provide most of these services. Its goal is to deliver an effective, efficient, and integrated public transport network for the people of Wellington. The Council works in partnership with the New Zealand Transport Agency to plan and fund the region’s public transport network.
Our Partners and Services
Metlink connects people throughout the greater Wellington region, with a public transport network that stretches from Wellington north to Otaki and east to Masterton.
We partner with a range of service providers and government agencies throughout the greater Wellington region to deliver transportation, ticketing, information and infrastructure. This includes:
- 45 contracts for bus services – all private operators
- 14 contracts for school bus services
- 8 public transport operators delivering services in the greater Wellington region
- Real time route information for buses and trains
- Electric trolley buses and diesel buses
- Two types of trains (Matangi and SW & SE carriages used on the Wairarapa Line)
- Over 90 partners carrying timetables
- More than 100 locations to top up a pre-paid bus fare card and 34 locations to buy train tickets
We work closely with the following local government agencies to deliver public transport services and infrastructure in their areas:
- Wellington City Council
- Hutt City Council
- Porirua City Council
- Upper Hutt City Council
- Kapiti Coast District Council
- South Wairarapa District Council
- Carterton District Council
- Masterton District Council
As a result of these efforts, people in greater Wellington use public transport more than people in any other city in New Zealand. In the 2012/2013 year, we boarded public transport vehicles an average of 72 times per person, over 50% more often than people in Auckland.
The Metlink Service Centre (0800 801 700) provides customers with a single point of contact to access timetable, fares and ticketing information and provide feedback on public transport matters. Find out more information on customer service.