How many zones is your trip?
There are a number of ways you can work out now many zones your journey is.
1. Enter your trip in our Journey Planner - it indicates how many zones you travel and the fare you can expect to pay, including the various concession fares
2. Click on "Show Fare Zones" on any of the maps on the website - on the home page, in Locate or under the timetable for your service. This will show you the fare zone boundaries:
Fare zone 1
Fare zone 1 covers the central city area including Thorndon, Te Aro, Aro Valley, Mt Victoria and Oriental Bay.
The boundary between zone 1 and zone 2 occurs at the following points:
- Hutt Road at Aotea Quay - stops 5026 and 5488
- Grant Road at Newman Terrace - stops 4116 and 5116
- Glenmore Street at Botanic Gardens - stops 4313 and 5313
- Kelburn – Cable Car Station (KELB)
- Victoria University Kelburn Campus - stops 4915 and 5915
- Brooklyn Road at Bidwill Street - stops 6715 and 7715
- Wallace Street at Massey University - stops 6914, 7914 and 7919
- Adelaide Road at Basin Reserve - stops 6014 and 7014
- Wellington College (school grounds) - school stop 6011
- Wellington East Girls' College - Ellice Street (school stop) - stop 6008
- Pirie Street at Bus Tunnel - stops 6215 and 7215
- Palliser Road - Town Belt - between stops 6564 and 6565
- Oriental Parade at Carlton Gore Road - stops 6519 and 7519.
Fare zone 2
Fare zone 2 covers Kaiwharawhara, Wadestown, Mairangi, Wilton, Northland, Kelburn, Highbury, Brooklyn, Kowhai Park, Kingston, Vogeltown, Berhampore, Newtown, Wellington Hospital, Hataitai, Mt Victoria summit and Roseneath.
The boundary between zone 2 and zone 3 occurs at the following points:
- Hutt Road at Rangiora Avenue - stops 3258 and 3260
- Kaiwharawhara Road/Ngaio Gorge Road - stops 4404 and 5404
- Churchill Drive/Blackbridge Road
- Churchill Drive at Wilton Bush Road - stop 5136
- Karori Tunnel at Karori end - stops 4320, 5320, 5380 and 5920
- Happy Valley Road - between stops 7794 and 7795
- Adelaide Road at Wakefield Park - between stops 6127 and 6128
- Mt Albert Road at Mt Albert Park - between stops 6942 and 6946
- Sutherland Road at Sutherland Crescent - stops 6926 and 7926
- Kilbirnie Shops - stops 6224, 7224, 6026 and 7026.
- Evans Bay Intermediate School (school stop) - stop 6020
- St Patrick's College - Evans Bay Parade - stop 6553
- St Patrick's College - Evans Bay Parade - stop 7553
Fare zone 3
Fare zone 3 covers the remaining suburbs in Wellington City, including: to the south, Maupuia, Miramar, Seatoun, Strathmore, the Airport, Rongotai, Lyall Bay, Southgate, Houghton Bay, Island Bay, Owhiro Bay and Happy Valley. Karori in the west, and in the North, Crofton Downs, Ngaio, Awarua Street, Simla Crescent, Box Hill, Khandallah, Ngauranga, Broadmeadows, Raroa, Newlands, Johnsonville, Paparangi, Grenada Village, and Churton Park.
The boundary between zone 3 and zone 4 occurs at the following points:
- Middleton Road - stops 3906 and 3966
- North of bus stop 3451 at 68 Havana Rise
- Hutt Road at Horokiwi Road
Fare zone 4
Fare zone 4 covers Takapu Road, Redwood, Tawa, Linden, Korokoro, Maungaraki, Normandale, Harbourview, Tirohanga, Melling, Boulcott, Hutt Central, Queensgate, Alicetown, Petone, Ava, Woburn, Moera, Waiwhetu, Waterloo, Epuni, Gracefield, Seaview and Hutt Hospital.
The boundary between zone 4 and zone 5 occurs at the following points:
- Main Road to Kenepuru Drive at Gee Street - between stops 3948 and 3950
- Western Hutt Road between Melling and Belmont - between stops 9150 and 9347
- High Street at Hutt Hospital - stops 8123 and 9223
- Oxford Terrace at Epuni Station - stops 8201 and 9201
- Fairfield Shops - Waiwhetu Road (near 300) - stop 8168
- Fairfield Shops - Waiwhetu Road (near 197) - stop 9268
- Wainuiomata Hill summit bridge-and lookout
- Marine Drive at Port Road - stops 8737 and 9837
Fare zone 5
Fare zone 5 covers Porirua, Elsdon, Titahi Bay, Waitangirua, Ascot Park, Papakowhai, Kenepuru, Kelson, Belmont, Pomare, Taita, Wingate, Naenae, Fairfield, Wainuiomata, Point Howard, and Mahina Bay.
The boundary between zone 5 and zone 6 occurs at the following points:
- Paremata Station and bus stop 2600
- Paremata Crescent - stops 2742 and 2751
- Tirowhanga Road at Kahu Road - between stops 2580 and 2582
- Omapere Street at Transom Close - north of stops 2706 and 2774
- High Street at Eastern Hutt Road
- Marine Drive between Mahina Bay and Sunshine Bay - between stops 9842 and 9843
Fare zone 6
Fare zone 6 covers Whitby, Mana, Plimmerton, Manor Park, Silverstream, Stokes Valley, and Heretaunga.
The boundary between zone 6 and zone 7 occurs at the following points:
- Trentham Station
- Ararino Street at Trentham Station - stops 9525 and 9526
- Fergusson Drive at Camp Street (Trentham Shops) - stops 8467 and 9567
- State Highway 1 between Pukerua Bay and Whenua Tapu Cemetery
Fare zone 7
Fare zone 7 covers Pukerua Bay, Muri, Emerald Hill, Totara Park, Timberlea, Upper Hutt, Wallaceville and Trentham.
The boundary between zone 7 and zone 8 occurs at the following points:
- State Highway 2 between Emerald Hill and Te Marua
- State Highway 1 at Ames Street
Fare zone 8
Fare zone 8 covers Paekakariki, Te Marua, and Maymorn.
The boundary between zone 8 and zone 9 occurs at the following points:
- State Highway 1 at McKays Crossing
- State Highway 2 at Kaitoke Loop Road/Station Drive
Fare zone 9
Fare zone 9 covers Raumati, Raumati South, Paraparaumu, and Paraparaumu Beach.
The boundary between zone 9 and zone 10 occurs at the following point:
- State Highway 1 at Waikanae River Bridge
- State Highway 2 at Pakuratahi River bridge.
Fare zone 10
Fare zone 10 covers Waikanae and Waikanae Beach.
The boundary between zone 10 and zone 11 occurs at the following point:
- State Highway 1 at Greenhill Road -
- State Highway 2 between Rimutaka Crossing Lookout and Featherston.
Fare zone 11
Fare zone 11 covers Peka Peka on the west coast and Featherston in the Wairarapa.
The boundary between zone 11 and zone 12 occurs at the following points:
- State Highway 1 at Te Hapua Road
- State Highway 2 at Tauherenikau River bridge
- State Highway 53 at Tauherenikau River bridge
Fare zone 12
Fare zone 12 covers Te Horo on the west coast, and Woodside and Greytown in the Wairarapa.
The boundary between zone 12 and zone 13 occurs at the following points:
- Otaki River Bridge
- Waiohine River Bridge
- Ruamahanga River bridge
Fare zone 13
Fare zone 13 covers Otaki and Otaki Beach on the west coast, Carterton, Matarawa and Martinborough in the Wairarapa.
The boundary between zone 13 and zone 14 occurs at the following point:
- State Highway 1 at Atkins Road.
- State Highway 2 at Waingawa River Bridge -
Fare zone 14
Zone 14 is the final zone, and covers Masterton in the Wairarapa, including Masterton Station, Renall Street Station and Solway Station.