More affordable fares for tertiary students
If you’re an eligible full-time tertiary student you will receive a 25% discount off the peak adult Snapper or single 10-Trip Ticket fare on Metlink bus, rail and ferry services at all times. This doesn't apply to cash fares or monthly rail passes.
To get the 25% discount on buses you must apply for the concession and have it loaded on your Snapper card. Hit the button below and answer a few questions and you will be on your way to cheaper bus trips!
If you have any privacy-related concerns about applying for your tertiary concession, check out our Tertiary Concession Privacy Statement.
You're eligible to apply for a Tertiary Concession if you:
- Are enrolled in an approved course at a tertiary education organisation authorised by Greater Wellington Regional Council to issue tertiary student concessions (see below)
- Are a full-time student
To obtain the 25% tertiary discount you will need to meet eligibility criteria, and:
- For bus travel, get the concession loaded on your Snapper card
- For rail or ferry travel, get a Tertiary Concession sticker for your tertiary student photo ID from your Tertiary Education Organisation, then buy a Tertiary 10-Trip Ticket before you travel
When travelling on the Tertiary Concession you will need to keep your student ID handy and show it to Metlink staff if requested. Your concession will remain valid as long as you meet the eligibility conditions for Tertiary Concession.
The tertiary students of an approved Tertiary Education Organisation must either:
- Be a full-time student who attends a Tertiary Education Organisation course that is:
- at least 12 weeks long, and
- meets the minimum full-time Equivalent Full-Time Student (EFTS) value; or
- Be a Limited Full-Time Student of the Tertiary Education Organisation who:
- The Ministry of Social Development records as “Limited Full-Time”; and
- Present satisfactory confirmation of their status to the Tertiary Education Organisation or the Snapper service centre (as applicable) in a form acceptable to the Tertiary Education Organisation or the Snapper service centre
The tertiary student must be enrolled at and attending an accredited and approved full-time tertiary course at a Ministry of Education-registered Tertiary Education Organisation.
The TEO must:
- Be registered with the Ministry of Education and offer courses accredited by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority; and
- Be registered with Metlink and signed a participation agreement with Greater Wellington Regional Council; and
- Have a Wellington region-based campus; and
- Issue tertiary student photo ID cards to their students
This list will be updated as other tertiary education organisations sign up
- Academy of Diving Trust
- ACG New Zealand International College
- Animation College New Zealand Limited (Yoobee)
- Capital Training Limited
- Computer Power Plus
- Elite Management School (Wellington Campus)
- English Language Partners New Zealand Trust
- English Teaching College
- Enspiral Dev Academy
- G&H Training Limited
- Horowhenua Learning Centre
- Kokiri Marae Keriana Olsen Trust
- Massey University
- New Zealand College of Massage
- New Zealand Institute of Sport Limited
- New Zealand Management Academies
- New Zealand School of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- New Zealand School of Dance
- New Zealand School of Tourism Limited
- NZ Institute of Fashion Technology Ltd
- NZLC – New Zealand Language Centres
- Premier Institute of Education
- Te Kura Toi Whakaari O Aotearoa: New Zealand Drama School Incorporated
- Te Rito Maioha Early Childhood NZ
- Te Wananga o Aotearoa (Wellington)
- The Learning Connexion Limited
- Trade and Commerce Centre Limited
- Universal College of Learning (UCOL Masterton)
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Wellington Institute of Technology
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic
- Otago Polytechnic
- University of Otago (Wellington)
How do I apply for the Tertiary Concession?
For Metlink bus travel
Metlink will work with approved Tertiary Education Organisations to contact students via email to explain how to get the Tertiary Concession online. If you do not receive an email then you will be able to apply for a Tertiary Concession online soon. More information to come.
For Metlink rail and ferry travel
Visit the Student Services team at your tertiary education organisation to apply for a Tertiary Concession sticker to attach to your current tertiary student photo ID.
Travelling with a Tertiary Concession
When you travel on a Metlink bus with a Tertiary Concession, you must:
- Use a Snapper Card (with a pre-loaded valid Tertiary Concession) and present your valid tertiary student photo ID to the bus driver, if requested
When you travel on a Metlink Train or ferry, you must:
- Use a valid Tertiary 10-Trip Ticket and present your valid tertiary Student photo ID attached with a valid attached Tertiary Concession sticker
To find out what your journey with the Tertiary concession looks like and costs, please use our Journey Planner. If you have a My Metlink account you can specify “Tertiary” as a fare preference and this will show the Tertiary Concession fare each time you plan your trip. Sign up to MyMetlink.
The Tertiary Concession is not available on the following services:
- Metlink After Midnight buses: N1, N2, N22, N3, N4, N5, N6, N66, N8, N88
- School buses
- Buses that Metlink does not run: Airport Flyer (91); non Metlink commuter services 80, 90, 92, 93