You can purchase your school term pass from the bus company running your school service. Fill out the application form for a rail school pass and take it to the ticket office at a train station.

Secondary school students aged 16 to 19 can also travel on a child fare when they are in school uniform or with a valid 2018 school photo ID card. Without a valid ID they will have to pay an adult fare.

Getting to school by train


emojibusTo find out what school bus you need to take and who it is operated by, use the journey planner (remember to select "school bus") or click on the magnify glass at the top of the page and search on your school's name.

School term passes are only valid during school term dates. To find out the term dates visit the Ministry of Education website (external link) .

 Runcimans (external link)

Porirua/Papakowhai/Whitby to Hutt Valley Schools


Petone and Lower Hutt to Upper Hutt Schools


Upper Hutt, Stokes Valley to Lower Hutt Schools


Stokes Valley, Upper Hutt to any Upper Hutt Schools 


Runcimans Special School Service Fares - Child Single


Runcimans Special School Service Fares - Child Snapper


 Mana/Newlands Coach Services School Term Passes (external link)

Zones Term 1 Term 2 Term 3 Term 4

1 Zone





2 Zones





3 Zones





4 Zones





5 Zones





6 Zones





7 Zones






Classic Coaches, Tranzit


Classic Coaches


1 Zone



2 Zones



3 Zones



4 Zones



5 Zones

 -  -

6 Zones

 -  -

7 Zones

 -  -



Rail School Term Pass applications can be downloaded via the PDF file below or collected from any ticket office at Metlink railway stations. A school term pass will be issued once the completed application is presented to a ticket office.

Rail School Term Pass application form PDF - 31 KB

This process cannot be completed at a ticket agent. 

Visit the ‘Where to buy your ticket’ page (external link)  for a complete list of ticket offices and agents.

Rail School Term Passes are available for primary, intermediate and secondary school students under the following terms and conditions:

A Rail School Term pass:

  • is valid only for use during the school days Monday to Friday, and cannot be used during weekend or public holidays
  • is valid only for the purpose of travelling to and from school between the stations specified on the tickets
  • is valid for one return journey per weekday for the purpose of attending school or school related activities and does not allow break of journey
  • is valid only for the duration of the term for which it is issued
  • is available for purchase from the ticket offices at stations 
  • can only be used on Metlink rail services subject to the Metlink general Conditions of Carriage (external link)
  • is non-transferable, non-refundable and must be shown on request


A school photo I.D. is required for purchasing a rail school term pass for secondary school students. The photo I.D. should:

  • Be issued by a secondary school, including authorised alternative schools. 
    Authorised schools: The following schools are eligible as of February 2017 - Wellington (formerly Kaiwharawhara) Activity Centre Challenge 2000, Correspondence School, Wellington City Mission – Mission for Youth, Karori Learning Centre, He Huarahi Tamariki, Hutt Valley Activity Centre, Christian Education NZ, Wellington Home Educators, Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Te Rito, Central Regional Health School, YMCA Greater Wellington STUDENT, Porirua Alternative School, Home Schooling NZ, Wa Ora Montessori – Lower Hutt, and Te Kura Maori o Porirua
  • Include a current photograph of the student
  • Include the date of birth of the student
  • Be uniquely numbered and show the school of issue
  • Be printed with term dates, year and term period

Students should be in possession of their school photo I.D. by the 15th March each year. Eligible school students without a term pass are required to pay standard child fares.

The stations specified on the rail school term pass are the nearest stations to the student’s residence and school.

Secondary school students must either be in school uniform or present a current school photo Identification (school photo I.D.), when asked.

Rail School Term Fares