50% discount for children on trains, buses and harbour ferries with a Child Concession.
This is available when using:
- A Snapper card on buses with a Child Concession applied to it – see below to find out how to apply for a child concession
- A Concession 10-trip ticket on rail
- Concession 10-trip ticket on ferry
- A Child Monthly or Child MonthlyPlus pass for rail
- A Child Event ticket for rail
- When paying by cash (when using cash the discount may not be exactly 50% of the adult fare, because cash fares are rounded up to the nearest 50 cents)
School students need to be in school uniform or show a valid school photo ID if requested.
Who qualifies for a child concession?
The Child Concession applies to school-aged children:
- Under fives travel for free
- Aged between age 5 and 6 years who have not started school
- Primary and intermediate school students are entitled to the Child Concession in or out of school uniform.
- Secondary school students must either:
- Be wearing school uniform, or
- Present a valid secondary school photo ID, if requested by Metlink staff.
- School-aged children who are not enrolled in school must present:
- a bona fide photo ID card for home-schooled children issued by the National Council of Home Educators New Zealand (NCHENZ); or
- an approval document from the Ministry of Education that shows the child is exempt from enrolment at a school.
If you are a Tertiary student at polytechnic, university, language academy or other similar learning institution you aren't eligible for a Child Concession but should apply for a Tertiary Concession if you meet full-time student criteria. If you are 16 or older and have left school, you don't qualify for a Child Concession.
Catching the bus
There is a 50% discount for children travelling on buses if you have a Child Concession loaded on your Snapper card or if you pay cash. Cash will be the more expensive option.
Applying a Child Concession onto your Snapper
If you have a green Snapper card, your card already has a Child Concession applied. If you have a red Snapper card, you will need to confirm your eligibility with Snapper to apply a Child Concession to your Snapper card. This will ensure you receive the child discount when you use your Snapper card.
- Confirming eligibility is easy! You’ll need to register your card on the Snapper website (external link) (external link) then simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your date of birth
- Proof of enrolment – ie a scan of your current school ID or a letter from your school confirming you are enrolled at school for the current year
- If you don’t confirm ongoing eligibility by this date, an adult fare will start to be charged when the card is next used.
- Alternatively, you can drop into a Snapper Service Centre (external link) (external link) (external link) where they will be able to check your Student ID and extend the Child Concession for you
- Your 16-digit Snapper card number
- Your registered email address (for your Snapper website account)
How the Child Concession works…
- Once eligibility is confirmed the child concession will be enabled until the card holder’s 16th birthday. Once a cardholder turns 16, or if they were already 16 at the time of confirming eligibility, the concession will need to be renewed by 28 February each year until they leave school
- When you tag on, the Snapper Reader on the bus will beep twice which indicates to the driver that a child fare has been charged (one beep means an adult has tagged on). The reader will also show the name of the concession on the screen, so you will see CHILD when you tag on
Catching the train
Children are eligible for the 50% discount on train travel if they meet the conditions outlined above. Older children may be asked for identification.
Ticket options include:
|Child Rail Monthly pass||
|Child Monthly Plus||
Catching the harbour ferry
Children travel on the harbour ferry at a 50% discount.