50% discount for people with disabilities
Total Mobility card holders and Blind Foundation members who live in the Wellington region get a 50% discount off the adult Metlink public transport fare.
The Accessible Concession is available on Metlink buses, trains and ferries, except After Midnight buses.
If you require assistance for your travel, a carer can come with you and travel for free. Your carer will need to start and end the same journey with you and accompany you for the entire length of the journey.
You will need to show Metlink staff your Total Mobility Card or Blind Foundation ID card if they ask, and let them know you are travelling with a carer.
How does the Accessible Concession work?
Metlink bus travel:
To get the 50% discount you just need to tag on and tag off the bus using your Total Mobility card, which is also a Snapper card. If you are a Blind Foundation card holder, use your Snapper card with a pre-loaded Accessible Concession. However, the concession is not available for cash fares.
Metlink rail and ferry services:
To get the 50% discount there are two types of discounted tickets you can buy:
- A "Concession 10-Trip" ticket that is good for regular travel and needs to be purchased prior to travel
- A "Single Child Cash" ticket that is good for one-time trips. Please note that single cash tickets cost slightly more because they are rounded up to the nearest 50c
You will need to show Metlink staff your Total Mobility Card or Blind Foundation ID card, if asked.
How do I apply for the Accessible Concession?
From 15 July 2018 all Wellington Total Mobility cards will be loaded with the Accessible Concession. So if you already have a Total Mobility Card you won’t need to apply.
Blind Foundation members can apply for the Accessible Concession:
- By phone the Snapper helpdesk on 0800 555 345 or
- In person at a Snapper Service Centre (refer to the table below)
- By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your Snapper card number and a copy of your Blind Foundation ID card.
When applying please bring your Blind Foundation ID card and proof you live in Wellington (e.g. something with your address such as a rates bill or bank statement).
Snapper Service Centres
Wellington i-SITE Visitor Centre
Monday to Sunday: 8.30am – 5:00pm
Upper Hutt i-SITE Visitor Centre
Monday to Friday: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Tranzit Travel Centre
|Monday to Friday 8.30am-5.00pm|
You can’t use the Accessible Concession on some services, including:
- Metlink After Midnight buses (N1; N2; N22; N3; N4; N5; N6; N66; N8; N88)
- Buses that Metlink does not run: Airport Flyer (91), Commuter 80, 90, 92, 93
Get in touch
If you have any questions or need help in applying for your Total Mobility card call us on 0800 801 700.