Service Updates > Changes to rail timetable and fares from Sunday 15 July. Plan ahead and check before you travel.
Valid from: 09/07/2018 10:00am
From Monday 15 July there will be some changes to rail which may affect the way you commute.
Ticketing and fares
- Metlink rail tickets are changing from station-to-station, to zone-to-zone
- 50% discount for all school students
- 25% off-peak discount (must be purchased as a 10-trip ticket)
- 25% discount for full-time tertiary students (external link) (must be purchased as a 10-trip ticket. Tertiary ID must be presented with a Metlink concession sticker)
- 50% discount for people with Total Mobility or Blind Foundation (external link) cards and a carer travels free (must be purchased as a 10-trip ticket. Total Mobility or Blind Foundation card must be presented as ID)
- Porirua station moves to zone 5 to align with bus stops
- Ngauranga station moves to zone 3 to align with bus stops
- New Metlink MonthlyPlus pass which includes free bus travel within zone 4 and the outer zone specified on the ticket when travelling from zone 1.
For all the details on what these changes mean and other changes across the Metlink network visit - https://www.metlink.org.nz/fares (external link) .
- Between 8.30am and 3.30pm services on the Kapiti and Hutt Valley lines services will increase to 20 minute frequency
- To improve the accuracy of the timetable across the network some train times may change
- Check before you travel. The departure time for your regular service may change so we recommend checking the Metlink Journey Planner before you travel and giving yourself a little more time than usual as everyone gets used to the new times
- An additional peak Kapiti service has already been added, this service is still on a trial basis so will not appear on timetables or Real Time Information boards but for more details you can visit the service update here: https://www.metlink.org.nz/service-updates/additional-peak-express-service-on-the-kapiti-line-from-wednesday-27-june/ (external link)
To have a look at the new train timetables visit - https://www.metlink.org.nz/on-our-way/new-timetable-information/ (external link) .