Service Updates > COVID-19: School bus services under level two
Valid from: 14/05/2020 12:00am
What Metlink is doing
- Supplying hand sanitiser on board school buses
- Cleaning buses in accordance with Ministry of Health guidelines
- Operating all school bus services from Monday 18 May 2020
What schools need to do
- Maintain a register of students on each school bus for contact tracing purposes
- Ensure the school community understands the physical distancing requirements, hygiene requirements before boarding the bus, and their plan ‘B’
What parents/caregivers need to do
- Need to have a plan ‘B’ to get students to get to and from school in case the bus is already full
- Ensure that their child understands the physical distancing requirements, hygiene requirements before boarding the bus, and their plan ‘B’
On public services used by students:
- If students are travelling on public bus services they need to adhere to the physical distancing requirements on board that service (window seats only, no standing, and maintaining 2m distance at bus stops)
- If students are travelling on a public services please keep a record of travel if you can
On school services:
- The front door will be used for entrance and exit during Alert Level 2, as ‘normal’. Even though fares are currently free, we ask all students to tag on and off with their Snapper card.
- Students are not able to stand on school bus services, however all seats can be occupied. This means that capacity is reduced on school services compared to 'normal'.
On both school and public services:
- It is not the bus driver’s responsibility to maintain or supervise physical distancing on board the bus. Please respect the driver’s physical distance when entering and exiting the bus.
- Capacity on bus services will be greatly reduced as no standing is permitted.