Service Updates > COVID-19: Bus services under level two
Valid from: 14/05/2020 12:00am
Due to Covid-19 physical distancing restrictions, Metlink services will continue to have limited capacity under alert level 2. This means your usual bus or train could be full because the capacity on most buses, trains and ferries will be limited to 40% of normal seated capacity – or around 25% of normal total capacity, with standing passengers not permitted under Level 2.
A change for level 2 is the return to tagging on at the front door of buses. Enter buses through the FRONT door and tap on with your snapper card. Snap off at the rear door.It is really important that you snap on and off so we can assess what services are required.
Bus and train fares are currently free, but Metlink, like council’s and transport providers across the country, is working with NZTA on a safe and fair way to reintroduce fares across the network. We will keep you updated via our website and facebook page.
Additional cleaning measures continue to be carried out on all buses, trains and the harbour ferry. This includes using virus barrier products, wiping down high contact zones and the use of “fogging”. Please also sanitise or wash your hands before and as soon as you can after travelling.
- Leave extra time for travel, if your normal bus or train is full, you might have to wait for the next service
- If you can, avoid travelling at peak times
- Consider walking, scootering or cycling as an alternative during alert level 2
Please keep a safe distance from people you do not know. This means:
- Keep 2m apart when waiting at bus stops, interchangers, stations and wharfs
- Keep your distance from others while on-board unless you know the person next to you
- Avoid sitting next to someone you do not know
- Stickers will show you where to sit
- Services will not allow standing passengers
Be safe, plan ahead and be prepared to keep a record of your journey in case it is needed for contact tracing purposes.