Greater Wellington Regional Council Privacy Statement
Your privacy is important to Wellington Regional Council, which operates under the name “Greater Wellington Regional Council” (‘GWRC’, ‘we’, ‘our’ and ‘us’).
This Privacy Statement governs our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information through your use of all of our websites, mobile applications and other online mediums and digital platforms (the ‘GWRC Platforms’).
This Privacy Statement has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights set out in the Privacy Act 1993 (‘Privacy Act’). We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time.
What does this privacy statement include?
This Privacy Statement is made up of:
- General provisions that apply across GWRC:
- What kind of personal information does GWRC collect?
- Collecting your information
- Using your information
- Sharing your information
- What if you do not provide us with the personal information requested?
- Data Storage, Security and accuracy
- How long we hold personal information
- Accessing and correcting your personal information
- GWRC Platforms Automatic Data Collection Technologies
- Who you can contact for further information
- Specific provisions that apply just to:
The specific provisions should be read as a whole with the general provisions applying across GWRC.
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, addresses, email address, telephone numbers, gender, and information on your use of our services or facilities. We may also collect other information provided by you or about you in connection with your use of our services or facilities or the GWRC Platforms or through your communications with us.
We may collect personal information about you as set out below:
- We may collect personal information about you when you, or someone authorised by you to act on your behalf, provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- Correspond with us, whether in person, by letter, phone, text, email, instant messages or other means of electronic communication.
- Complete and submit forms we provide (including for applications for consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding or other authorisations or for the use of any of our services of facilities, including signing up for and using GWRC Platforms).
- Prepare and submit a written submission, request or other feedback (including in relation to applications for consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding or other authorisations, or in relation to any form of draft or proposed plan, policy, bylaw or other document).
- Use any of our services or facilities or interact with the GWRC Platforms, including the Metlink website. This includes the content you access and any services you utilise (such as search terms, web pages you have accessed) as further detailed below.
- Subscribe to any of our newsletter or update services.
- Follow or post comments in response to our social media or other facilities such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Apply for employment with us.
- We may keep a record of any information that you acquire from us.
- We may monitor and record phone calls for quality control and/or staff training purposes and other purposes related to the purpose for your call. We will let you know at the time of the call if a call is to be monitored and recorded.
- When you visit one of the GWRC Platforms, we may utilise automatic data collection technology solutions such as browser cookies to collect information about how our GWRC Platforms are being used. For more information refer to: GWRC Platforms Automatic Data Collection Technologies
- We use camera surveillance for a number of purposes and at a number of locations. For more information about camera surveillance refer to: Camera Surveillance
- Apply for employment with us.
The personal information that we collect from you, or someone authorised by you to act on your behalf, may be used for any of the following purposes:
- To provide you with services or facilities, including:
- those you have requested; and
- assisting our Council Controlled Organisations to provide such services or facilities to you.
- To positively confirm your identity. This is to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information.
- To respond to correspondence or to provide you with information that you have requested.
- To process your application for any consent, licence, approval, permit or other authorisation for which you have applied.
- To process your application to use or to register for any of our services or facilities, including our online services.
- To respond to your requests, enquiries or feedback, or for customer care related activities.
- To provide you with information about events, news, services or facilities, relating to us or our Council Controlled Organisations that we consider may be of interest to you. You will have the option of unsubscribing from these communications.
- To comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- To carry out activities connected with the running of our operations such as staff training, or testing and maintenance of computer and other systems.
- To assist in providing better services to you by tailoring them to meet your needs (including to keep the GWRC Platforms relevant and of interest to you).
- To provide you with further information about us or other goods or services offered by us or third parties which we consider may be of interest to you. To achieve this, we may carry out marketing, promotional and publicity activities, including direct marketing, market research and surveys.
- To customise the GWRC Platforms to your preferences and to show you information that is most relevant to you and your interests based on the information you have provided to us or we have collected.
- For any specific purpose which we may notify you of at the time your personal information is collected or otherwise identified in this Privacy Statement.
- To carry out activities connected with recruitment of personnel.
By providing us with your electronic contact details (including mobile number and email address) you agree that we and our agents may send you electronic messages for any of the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement or otherwise disclosed to you.
You may provide information to be published or displayed (‘posted’) on public areas of the GWRC Platforms, or transmitted to other users of the GWRC Platforms or third parties (collectively ‘User Contributions’). If you use any discussion or other posting forum feature on the GWRC Platforms, please be aware that any information (including personally identifiable information) you submit there can be viewed and used by other GWRC Platforms users. Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of those you may choose to share your User Contributions with.
We may disclose personal information about you to:
- Any person that we ask to provide GWRC products or services to you on our behalf, but only where your personal information is necessary for the provision of those products or services.
- Council Controlled Organisations, in order to assist with the functions and services that they provide to you.
- A third party if we are required to do so by law, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations. This may include sharing camera surveillance footage with the New Zealand Police or other public sector agencies where criminal activity is reported or suspected. The New Zealand Police may also access live feeds from certain camera surveillance cameras, for law enforcement, investigation and emergency response purposes.
- Any person you authorise us to disclose your personal information to.
- Any person, if that information is held in a public register. For example, this includes information held on the rating information database.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we request, we may not be able to adequately respond to your correspondence, process any applications you have submitted, provide the services or facilities you have requested, process payments or deal with any requests you have submitted. You may not be able to fully utilise all of our products and services and you may not be able to register an account which is needed to gain access to certain features of the GWRC Platforms.
In some circumstances, failure to provide information when requested may be unlawful, or result in legal consequences. These circumstances and the potential consequences will be explained to you when your personal information is requested.
We take reasonable steps to ensure personal information is:
- protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access. We restrict access to personal information to people who need access to this information in order to assist us in performing our duties and obligations; and
- accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
However, please be aware that no method is completely secure, and while we take reasonable measures we cannot completely promise the security of any information we collect from you.
We may retain all personal information that we collect for as long as administratively necessary, in accordance with GWRC’s information retention and disposal schedule.
The Public Records Act 2005 requires us to retain “protected records” indefinitely. In some circumstances, your personal information may be included within a protected record, including submissions you make in relation to bylaws, annual plans, and regional planning instruments.
Under the Privacy Act you have certain rights to access the personal information that we hold about you, and to request that we correct it.
In addition to online platforms that we offer for managing your personal details that we hold, you may ask us to confirm whether or not we hold any personal information about you, ask to access it and request that it be corrected.
Please contact the person detailed in the specific section below or if a more general query by emailing us at email@example.com or contacting us, at the addresses provided below.
Your rights of access to and correction of any personal information we hold about you are subject to the procedures set out in the Privacy Act.
As you navigate through and interact with the GWRC Platforms, we may use automatic data collection technologies, such as cookies, to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns.
This information may be used for the other purposes set out in this Privacy Statement. Examples of the kind of information we may collect include:
- Website related traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data.
- Data related to your use of the GWRC Platforms. This includes the pages you visit, the resources and services that you access, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, referring pages (pages you came from or go to), and statistical and other data derived from your use of the GWRC Platforms.
- Information about your device, computer and network connection (including your IP address, operating system, hardware version and browser type).
- If you allow our GWRC Platforms to deliver content based on your location (for example, by enabling this feature on your mobile device) we may collect location data (such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals). This information could be used for the automated delivery of relevant content to you.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include log files, usage monitoring software and cookies.
If you have any queries about this Privacy Statement or personal data we have collected, please contact the person listed for Buses, Trains, Parks and Reserves or Call Centre in the sections below or if a more general query our Privacy Officer.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: Greater Wellington Regional Council
PO Box 11-646
Our GWRC Platforms include social media features (such as the Facebook ‘like’ button, ‘share’ buttons or interactive programs that run on our site). These features may collect your IP address, which pages you visit on our site, and how long for. If you're a member of a social media site, the interfaces may allow the social media site to connect your visits to this site with other personal information. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our GWRC Platform. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy statements and policies of the third party providing it and to the maximum extent permitted by law we accept no responsibility for the actions of those third parties.
We may provide an application programming interface (‘API’) to enable third party applications to interface with our GWRC Platforms. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
If you allow an application to connect to your account on our GWRC Platforms, including if you set up your account on our GWRC Platform using an API with a third party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged in to our GWRC Platforms. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our GWRC Platforms.
If you set up your account on our GWRC Platforms using an API with a third party social media platform, you also consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
If you are using one of our mobile applications, you acknowledge and accept that we can:
- Choose to send you ’Push Notifications’. This is a message that pops up on a mobile device at any time. ’Push Notification’ preferences can be configured in the application's settings (you have the option to disable the notification when you open the app for the first time, and you can also go to your mobile phone setting to disable the notification).
- Access your device’s location function and collect, use, and disclose this information as set out in this Privacy Statement (you can disable the ‘share location’ setting if you don't want our GWRC Platforms to access your location).
We will collect personal information provided by you if you participate in our promotions and competitions. We collect this information in order to conduct the promotion or competition. We may disclose this information to third parties such as agents, contractors, service providers and prize suppliers to conduct the promotion or competition. We may also use and disclose this information as set out in this Privacy Statement. Entry is conditional on providing this information. If the information is not fully supplied the entry may be void.
If you provide us with the names and contact details of any other people that you would like to have participate in our contests or promotions, we will also collect this information. You promise that you have their permission to provide us with this information and for us to use it for this purpose.
Camera surveillance generally operates on the buses and at number of bus stops. For detailed information about the location and purposes of cameras refer to: Camera Surveillance
In relation to Metlink services and Snapper Services Limited (‘Snapper’):
- Emails may be forwarded between us and Snapper to allow resolution of queries. Generally, you will be copied in to these emails.
- Social media messages will be shared between us and Snapper to allow resolution of queries.
- We may provide Snapper with your phone number so that Snapper can contact you directly to respond to a query.
- Personal information collected by our Metlink Contact Centre (including for the purposes of resolving complaints and refund queries about the Snapper Card), may include your contact data and Snapper card number. This information is required so that your complaints and refunds can be handled in an efficient and streamlined process. We may provide this information to Snapper to assist in responding to you. The Snapper card number is required to be collected in order for us and Snapper to check card transactions and directly credit back refunds if required.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding buses please contact email@example.com
GWRC has a separate Privacy Statement for the process of obtaining a tertiary concession for bus services.
Camera surveillance generally operates on the trains, at the majority of Metlink rail stations and station carparks. For detailed information about the location and purposes of cameras please refer to: Camera Surveillance
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding trains please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We may monitor and record phone calls to the GWRC 0800 number (0800 496 734), Metlink 0800 number (0800 801 700) and the main phone line at each GWRC location for quality control and/or staff training purposes and other purposes related to the purpose of your call. We will let you know at the time of the call if a call is to be monitored and recorded.
Personal information collected by our Metlink Contact Centre (including for the purposes of resolving complaints and refund queries about the Snapper Card), may include your contact data and Snapper card number. This information is required so that your complaints and refunds can be handled in an efficient and streamlined process. We may provide this information to Snapper to assist in responding to you. The Snapper card number is required to be collected in order for us and Snapper to check card transactions and directly credit back refunds if required.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding our call centres please contact email@example.com
If you or your child participate in or deliver the Cycle Skills Programme and you have provided consent we may take photos of you/your child during the event.
Any photos may be used by GWRC for training, promotional or educational materials, including but not limited to inclusion in or on:
- GWRC owned and managed social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter)
- GWRC owned and managed websites
- Leaflets and posters
All photos taken remain the property of GWRC.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding the Cycle Skills Programme please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated 8 August 2018
This page contains community guidelines built on mutual respect between users of social media accounts of Wellington Regional Council which operates under the name “Greater Wellington Regional Council” (‘GWRC’, ‘we’ and ‘us’) and the communication tools (including forums for posting) on any GWRC Platform. It also states the disclaimer, copyright and conditions of use for GWRC’s social media accounts (such as Twitter, Facebook, You Tube, Flickr and LinkedIn).
About our channels
GWRC's social media accounts are managed by GWRC’s communications team.
GWRC reserves the right to vary, suspend or terminate any of its social media accounts (including our Metlink Twitter account) at any time.
We welcome your comments, questions and feedback on GWRC’s social media accounts and GWRC forums, and encourage discussion. We do ask that you are respectful of the community with your comments and views and follow these guidelines:
Please do not share any of your own, or anyone else’s, private information. Social media is a public forum. Please don’t post addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or other online contact details – relating either to you or other individuals. Please don’t share personal information or photos containing other people without their consent.
If you use GWRC social media accounts or any other GWRC communication tools available through a GWRC Platform, you agree only to use such communication tools for lawful and legitimate purposes. You must not:
- use these for posting or disseminating any material unrelated to the intended use (stay on topic), offers of goods or services for sale, files that may damage any other person's computing devices or software, content that may be offensive to any other users, or material or data in violation of any law (including data or other material that is protected by copyright or trade secrets which you do not have the right to use) or that is not accurate;
- take any action that imposes an unreasonable load on the social media account or other platform, including but not limited to "spam" or other such unsolicited e-mailing techniques or otherwise attempt to disrupt or interfere with its operation; or
- promote a person for election to GWRC or to any other body, promote a campaign for election to GWRC or any other body, or encourage others to vote for any particular candidate or party in any election.
We reserve the right to remove any communication at any time in our sole discretion. Please report any objectionable information to us at: email@example.com. If an individual repeatedly violates this policy, that user may be blocked from posting in the future.
By making any contribution to the GWRC social media accounts or other platforms publicly - including comments, photos or videos – you're granting GWRC permission to reuse this content.
All information provided is subject to change. Although we do our best to ensure information provided is correct and current at the time of transmission, to the fullest extent permitted by law, GWRC (and its employees, agents and consultants):
- does not accept any responsibility or liability for any error, omission or defect any action taken or omission made as a result of reliance placed on such information; and
- excludes all liability for any loss or damage (including direct, indirect, special or consequential loss or damage) arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information whether or not caused by any negligent act or omission. If any law prohibits the exclusion of such liability, GWRC limits its liability to the fullest extent permitted.
Except where stated, the content on GWRC’s social media accounts is the copyright of GWRC or its licensors. Unless otherwise specified, material in which GWRC has copyright is licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence. In essence, you are free to copy, distribute and adapt the material, as long as you attribute it to GWRC and abide by the other licence terms. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Retweets, @mentions and third party content
We may choose to retweet, @mention, post or share information from other organisations or individuals for the interest and information of our followers. External, non-GWRC links do not constitute official endorsement on behalf of GWRC, nor any guarantee as to the accuracy of this information.
Being followed or retweeted by GWRC does not imply endorsement of any kind or any guarantee by GWRC as to the accuracy of the information.
Posts by users do not necessarily reflect the views of GWRC. We do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of content posted by other users.
@Replies and direct messages
We welcome feedback and ideas from all our followers, and endeavour to join the conversation where possible. However, we are not able to reply individually to all the messages we receive via Twitter.
If you would like to give feedback about a Metlink service, we are happy to receive this through Twitter. But we need you to provide us with sufficient information, for example; time, direction of service, bus route/train line, bus number and description of incident. With character limitations, sometimes this can be hard, so you can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our online feedback form. All feedback will be logged and fed through to the appropriate person/operator. If you require a response, please email your complaint and state that you’d like a response, as we may not be able to provide feedback via Twitter.
If you follow us on Twitter, we will not automatically follow you back. This will allow us to keep our Twitter stream relevant to public transport information (in the case of our Metlink Twitter) and GWRC related activities for our other Twitter stream(s), and help you identify other Twitter users you may want to follow.
Etiquette and abuse
When contacting us via Twitter, remember that there are real people monitoring our channel, reading your tweets and responding to you directly. Please try to be respectful and patient as we try to answer your queries, especially during service disruptions, as we may be trying to deal with a large volume of queries and a fast-changing scenario.
GWRC reserves the right to block, mute and/or report without notice any Twitter accounts that abuse, harass, slander or otherwise disrespect employees of GWRC.
Content on General GWRC Twitter Account
If you follow us, you can expect tweets covering some of the following:
- civil defence alerts
- customer service reminders
- invitations to have your say
- news and events
- updated digital content
- Metlink and/or public transport
- job vacancies
We generally update and monitor our Twitter account during office hours, Monday to Friday.
If you are requesting a service on Twitter we might ask you to contact us via phone or email. This will help us to respond to your request effectively. If you require an immediate response, please call us on 0800 496 734.
The purpose of our Facebook page
We use our Facebook page for:
- sharing GWRC's latest news and events information
- getting informal community feedback on our activities
- building a community of people who care about the region
- civil defence alerts
- Metlink/public transport updates
If you are requesting a particular service we might ask you to contact us via phone or email. This will help us to respond to your request effectively. If you require an immediate response, please call us on 0800 496 734.
We won't usually comment on political issues or get involved in debates.
If you have feedback for any of our regional councillors you can contact them via our Council and councillors page (external link) .
From time to time we will upload videos to our YouTube channel about our activities.
We welcome your comments and encourage discussion. We ask that you are respectful with your comments and views. We reserve the right to remove comments which are disrespectful, rude, abusive, or considered spam.
We occasionally upload photos from around the region to our Flickr account. If you would like to share a photo with us, please use the tag "Greater Wellington". As indicated above, by making any contribution to the GWRC social media accounts or other platforms publicly - including comments, photos or videos – you're granting GWRC permission to reuse this content.