Our Metlink Journey
Have you ever wondered who Metlink is and what we do?
Metlink is the brand which manages public transport within the wider Wellington region.
Greater Wellington Region Council’s brand, Metlink, brings a public bus, rail and ferry transport network to people in Wellington City, Hutt Valley, Porirua, Kapiti and the Wairarapa.
The network is owned by Greater Wellington Regional Council and is serviced by a number of wonderful transport operators:
Rail - Transdev (external link)
Ferry - East by West (external link)
We continuously refine and improve our network based on our research and your feedback. You deserve a reliable network and we’re working hard to make that happen.
Find out how your bus, train or ferry network is doing by clicking through below.
Interesting facts you may not know
- On an average weekday, Metlink has 99,400 bus passenger boardings
- Bus patronage has increased by 4% during 2018/19
- The new East by West ferry is on track to become what is believed to be the first fully-electric passenger ferry in the Southern Hemisphere
- 24.8 Million people used our buses during 2018/19
- We currently have 463 vehicles in our bus fleet
- 3,762 is the average number of weekday bus services
- Train patronage has increase by 6% during 2018/19
- In a year, more than 14 million passenger journeys were taken on the Wellington Metro Rail Network