What's a "bus hub"?
Metlink bus hubs are a collection of bus stops located close together that connect buses from outer suburbs with main routes. You can expect the bus hubs to be sheltered, well-lit spaces, making transferring between buses a bit more comfortable for you.
While most of us travelling to and from the CBD during peak times don’t need to transfer between buses to get to where we need to go, some of us will need to transfer during off-peak times.
Here's a snapshot of the Brooklyn bus hub:
Major work in progress
The majority of our bus hubs are now fully operational, with only a small handful of stops still requiring work. At these stops we will do our best to minimise disruption, but there will be a need for temporary arrangements as we complete the last of the hubs – thank you for your patience.
For information on a specific bus hub please read the hub summaries below. While hubs are under construction there will be signage directing you to the correct stops or temporary stops.
Safety Fence Construction
Construction is underway on a new safety fence on Evans Bay Parade at the Kilbirnie bus hub. The construction of the fence requires initial civil works to be completed and the fence sections to be temporarily installed and sized, before the fence sections are sent off site to be galvanised.
From 28 July, Stop A (#6224) will return to its permanent location on Evans Bay Parade. Thank you for your patience while we relocated the stop to enable the safety fence works to be carried out.
Kilbirnie Hub Layout
The Kilbirnie bus hub is located on Evans Bay Parade, between Kilbirnie Crescent and Rongotai Road.
- Stop A (#6224) – buses to Lyall Bay, Rongotai, Strathmore Park, Miramar, Seatoun and Wellington International Airport
- Stop B (#7224) – buses to Wellington Station, Karori and Wilton, via Hataitai
- Stop C (#7026) – buses to Wellington Station and Karori, via Newtown
Construction of a sheltered walkway from Stop C to Bay Road is planned to begin in mid-July and is expected to take up to two months to complete.
We are aware of the disruption that these works create for road users, pedestrians and nearby residents and businesses. We apologise for the inconvenience that this will cause and will ensure our contractors take all possible steps to minimise this disruption. The work is necessary to ensure the safety and comfort of users of the site, so we rely on your patience while we deliver improvements that will serve Kilbirnie for years to come.
Please ensure you use the controlled pedestrian crossings when crossing Evans Bay Parade.
For further information call us on 0800 801 700.
- Stop A (#5500) – buses via Courtenay Place
- Stop B (#6000) – buses via Willis Street or Taranaki Street
- Stop C (#6001) – buses via Victoria University and express buses
- Stop D (#5016) – buses to the northern suburbs, Porirua and Eastbourne
The Brooklyn bus hub is located on Cleveland Street near the Brooklyn Library. The hub is fully operational.
- Stop A (#7700) – buses to Wellington Station
- Stop B (#7720) – buses to Kowhai Park and Owhiro Bay
- Stop C (#6720) – buses to Kingston
The Miramar Shops bus hub is located on Miramar Avenue, near Stone Street. The hub is fully operational.
- Stop A (#7083) – buses to Wellington Station
- Stop B (#6081) – buses to Miramar, Seatoun, Strathmore Park and Johnsonville
The Wellington Hospital bus hub is located on Riddiford Street, outside the Wellington Regional Hospital. The hub is fully operational.
- Stop A (#6055) – buses to Lyall Bay, Island Bay and Miramar.
- Stop B (#7017) – buses to Wellington Station, Karori, Kingston and Johnsonville
- Stop C (#6017) – buses to Brooklyn, Houghton Bay and Wellington Zoo
The Johnsonville bus hub is located on Moorefield Road, near Johnsonville Railway Station. Two of the three bus stops are now fully operational.
- Stop A (#3000) – buses to Johnsonville West, Churton Park, Grenada Village, Newlands and Porirua. Stop A is temporarily located in the Johnsonville Mall car park, adjacent to Johnsonville Railway Station. Works on the permanent bus stop, on Moorefield Road adjacent to the new Johnsonville Library, will commence in mid-2019
- Stop B (#3081) – buses to Wellington Station. This bus stop is fully operational
- Stop C (#3250) – drop off only and school buses. This bus stop is fully operational
Kilbirnie Hub Temporary Layout
The Karori Tunnel bus hub is located on Glenmore Street on the city side of the Karori Tunnel. Stop A will be upgraded mid-late 2019, while works at Stop B are now complete.
- Stop A (#4319) – buses to Wellington Station, Brandon Street, Courtenay Place, Miramar and Seatoun – Stop A will be temporary closed from Monday 19 August. Unfortunately we are unable to install a temporary bus stop during the construction period, and we recommend using stop #4320 on the Karori side of the tunnel. This will not affect your fare. We expect Karori Tunnel – Stop A to re-open in November.
- Stop B (#5319) – buses to Karori, Wrights Hill, Mairangi and Johnsonville. This bus stop is fully operational.
For further information call us on 0800 801 700.
The Courtenay Place bus hub is located on Courtenay Place near the intersection of Blair Street.
- Stop A (#5000) – buses to Wellington Station, northern and western suburbs, Eastbourne and Lower Hutt.
- Stop C (#5516) – buses to eastern and southern suburbs.
How have we talked to our communities about the new bus hubs?
We received a large amount of feedback on our overall bus network, including different options for the new bus hub locations. About 400 submissions were received, and there were also about 7,500 views of the webpage detailing the options for relocation. We appreciate that while we cannot satisfy everyone, we took our time weighing up the options and the final decisions on the bus hub locations were chosen based on the current and future needs of each community. Follow the links to find out in more detail on how we talked to the Johnsonville and Kilbirnie communities.