Wellington Station Bus Interchange to be completed early March
The final steps to move the bus stops at Wellington Station Bus Interchange into their permanent locations are nearing completion.
Monday 15 August to Saturday 19 November
Stop A moved to outside the Law School (Old Government Building).
Stops B & C combined and moved to outside the Bookstore.
No changes to Stop D.
School buses depart from their usual stop.
Airport Express departs from Stop B outside the Bookstore.
Works on area outside University Building
- Stop A remains outside Law School
- New stops B,C,D,E open in their permanent locations
B,C,D Shelter upgrade
- Shelter & plaza upgrades
Permanent wayfinding signage
- Installed in phases throughout interchange
Bus routes from Stops B,C and D will use Stop A between 6:30pm and 6:30am during paving works. Stop A is still outside the Law School on Lambton Quay during these works.
Bus routes from Stop E will use Stop 5111 Molesworth Street at Parliament between 6:30pm and 6:30am during paving works.
Stop A reopens from Sunday 5 March
Customers can catch their buses from the new Stop A location, just outside the university building Rutherford House (in front of the old bookstore).
All regular bus routes that were using the temporary Stop A outside the law school will stop at the new Stop A location. School buses will continue to stop outside of the Law School, as normal.
Some works are yet to be completed in the interchange:
- Stop A Signage and RTI board are due for installation during the week 6 - 10 March
- Shipping container shelters at the temporary Stop A are due for removal during early March
- Tactile surface and painting are due for installation in mid-late March
- New signalised pedestrian crossing is scheduled for completion in mid-late March
- Information light boxes are anticipated for installation in mid-late March
- Seating for the new shelter near Stops C,D is anticipated for installation in April
Routes by bus stop
|Wellington Hospital, buses via Courtenay Place or Taranaki Street||HX, 1, 3, 12, 14, 17, 23, 24, 27, 29, 52, 83. Evening peak only 12e, 30x, 31x, 32x, 35, 36.|
|Buses via Victoria Street||7, 17, 25, 39|
|Te Herenga Waka - Wellington University, Mairangi, Johnsonville||22|
|Buses to northern suburbs||1, 24, 25, 52, 83. Evening peak only 26, 56, 57, 58, 60e.|
Planned finish date: 5 March 2023, subject to change
The Wellington Station Bus Interchange and the Wellington Railway Station form Wellington Region’s biggest public transport interchange – connecting tens-of-thousands of rail and bus users with work, education, shopping and appointments in Wellington city daily.
Improvements to the interchange customer experience and operation have been earmarked since 2018, as part of the introduction of new interchanges in Wellington City.
The introduction of fully electric buses into the fleet, and the requirement for charging facilities, adds an extra dimension to the changes.
The scale of improvements is significant.
- Reconfiguration of stops B and C – into 3 new stops with more waiting area and a new shelter
- Dedicated Airport Express bus stop
- Seating improvements at Stop A
- Improvements to the atrium waiting area and environment
- Improved wayfinding signage and visitor information throughout the interchange
- Large format digital information screens
- Installation of charging facilities for electric buses
- Re-alignment of the bus waiting area
- Upgrading the existing ‘zebra’ crossing to a signal-controlled pedestrian crossing
- Measures to dissuade customers from crossing the roadway between Stops A or B and Stop E
Metlink has worked with the architects Isthmus to design improvements to the site.