From 11.59pm, Tuesday 7 September, the Wellington Region will move to Alert Level 2.
If you’re unwell, please avoid public transport and stay home.
During Alert Level 2, Metlink bus, train and harbour ferry services will transition back to regular timetables. All payment methods will return, including cash. All accessibility features will return to service, this means front door boarding on buses, and availability of ramps on trains.
As we transition back to full services, it will take a few days for our technology, operators and frontline teams to adjust. If you can’t work from home please be patient as we adjust with capacity and disruptions during the change.
In the latest change to Alert Level 2, the Government requires all people on board public transport to be seated, with standing not allowed, except on dedicated school services. This does mean that our services are carrying fewer passengers than normal, so please help us during this time even if that means missing out on your first choice of service as demand starts to pick up.
School bus services will start running from Thursday 9 September when schools return. Under Government rules, students on board dedicated school services are allowed to stand, but if travelling on public services they will need to be seated like everyone else.
Face coverings must be worn while waiting for your Metlink service, and also while on board. Please ensure you put your face covering on before leaving the house and keep it on until you return home. You are required to keep a record of your journey - simply scan the QR codes on board with the NZ COVID Tracer or Rippl app, or note it down manually.
A reminder, our drivers and frontline staff are working hard to deliver your service and are not expected to enforce these measures. Please be kind, and we appreciate your patience.
Free travel to and from your vaccination appointment
We are providing free travel on buses and trains to anyone getting their COVID-19 vaccination from Monday 20 September 2021. This is part of a coordinated effort to boost attendance at vaccination centres and events across the region.
Terms and Conditions:
- ‘Free travel’ is provided to and from your vaccination appointment using Metlink buses and trains.
- You can only use this travel on the day of your appointment or vaccination visit
- Show your booking confirmation (either paper or on your mobile phone), otherwise let your bus driver or train manager know you are heading to or from your vaccination and take your seat
- Staff will only be checking that your appointment confirmation is dated for the day of travel
- Passengers must follow all government guidelines whilst using public transport
- Everyone 12 years and older legally must wear a face covering on public transport at all Alert Levels
- Scan the QR codes or keep a record of which service you travel
- You must be seated when you are on public transport — the service will not be able to carry passengers who are standing at Alert Level 2
- Drivers and transport operators will not stop people without face coverings from boarding public transport. This is because some people will have legitimate reasons for not wearing a face covering
- Passengers of taxi and ride-share services legally must wear a face covering at Alert Level 2 and above, but are only encouraged at Alert Level 1
If using buses or trains is not an option for you, we are encouraging people to contact us directly on 0800 801 700 to arrange community transport to and from your vaccination centre.
For more information on vaccination sites visit the Healthpoint website(external link).
Haere kore utu ki tō hui, i tō hui rānei mō te rongoā āraimate
E hoatu kore utu ana mātou i ngā pahi me ngā tereina ki te hunga e haere ana ki te whiwhi i tō rātou rongoā āraimate KOWHEORI-19, mai i te Mane 20 o Mahuru 2021. He mea whakakotahi i ngā kaha ki te whakanui i te taenga atu, i te toronga atu rānei o te hunga whai rongoā āraimate huri i te rohe.
Ko ngā Herenga me ngā Āheinga:
- Ko te “haere kore utu” mō te haerenga atu, hokinga atu rānei i tō weronga rongoā āraimate i runga i ngā pahi me ngā tereina o Metlink.
- E taea ana e koe ēnei waka te haere i tō rangi hui, i tō toronga atu rānei
- Me whakaatu (te pepa, tō kawe reo rānei), i tō whakatūturutanga o tō hui, me whakamārama atu rānei ki te hautū pahi, tereina rānei e haere atu ana, e hoki atu ana koe rānei i tō weronga, ā, kimihia he nohoanga mōu.
- Ka tirohia anake e ngā kaimahi e rite ana tō rangi hui me te rangi e haere atu ana
- Me whai tonu ngā kaieke i ngā aratohu katoa o te Kāwanatanga i a koe i runga i ngā waka tūmatanui.
Download translations of our Free Travel to Vaccinations poster
Cook Islands Māori (Kūki 'Āirani Māori) [PDF, 180 KB]
Fijian (Vosa Vakaviti) [PDF, 185 KB]
Kiribati (Te taetae ni Kiribati) [PDF, 182 KB]
Niue (Vagaha Niue) [PDF, 179 KB]
Rotuman (Fäeag Rotųam) [PDF, 181 KB]
Samoa (Gagana Samoa) [PDF, 181 KB]
Tokelau (Te Gagana Tokelau) [PDF, 185 KB]
Tonga (Lea Faka-Tonga) [PDF, 188 KB]
Tuvalu (Te Gana Tuvalu) [PDF, 186 KB]
Public Transport passes during lockdown
Here’s what you need to know
Your August Rail Monthly or MonthlyPlus pass is now valid through to the end of September.
If you have a Snapper 30-day pass for Wellington or Eastbourne activated on or after 1 August until lockdown on 18 August, you will automatically receive a credit for the full purchase price of this pass added to your Snapper card balance the next time you top up or check your balance.
Do you already have a September Monthly pass, MonthlyPlus pass, or ordered one online but haven’t received it yet?
You can replace your September Monthly or MonthlyPlus pass with an equivalent October pass. This must be done within 10 days of returning to Alert Level 2, being on or before 17 September 2021.
If you are waiting for your online Rail Monthly or MonthlyPlus pass order, please contact the Metlink Contact Centre on 0800 801 700; provide your name, address and the contact phone number that you supplied with your order, as well as the details of the ticket/s you ordered.
Our friendly Contact Centre staff will then confirm with you whether you want to keep the September Monthly or MonthlyPlus pass, or you would like to receive the October Monthly or MonthlyPlus pass instead.
Our team will verify the details of your original order and post out your tickets.
If you already have a September Rail Monthly or MonthlyPlus pass and want to swap it for an equivalent October pass, you will need to visit the ticket offices at Wellington Station, Porirua, Paraparaumu, Waikanae, Upper Hutt, Waterloo & Petone. It is important to note that you will need to hand in your September pass within 10 days of returning to Alert Level 2 being on or before 17 September 2021.
All valid August Rail Monthly or MonthlyPlus passes will be accepted during September.
Metlink will review the decision as we know more about alert levels in the coming days and weeks.