Greater Transport Greater Wellington
The people of Wellington region use public transport like no other, and they want to move with the times.
They want a service that reflects the cleaner, more reliable and efficient technology of the new millenium, and that's what Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) is going to deliver. We're making public transport easier, smarter, better.
Effective public transport is the lifeblood of the greater Wellington region. We are looking at a thorough overhaul of the entire region’s public transport system that will deliver:
- Simplified routes, fares and much better timed connections between services meaning easier and faster journeys for you
- Comfortable travel in modern, emissions efficient bus and rail fleets
- Simplified fares making it easy to know what to pay
- One Metlink public transport brand making public transport easy to recognise and navigate
- Easier and timelier access to travel information giving you more certainty about your journey
- Contracts with operators that improve reliability and punctuality meaning less waiting for you
- A single electronic payment system for travel on buses, trains and harbor ferries makes paying and getting around easier and more convenient.
What we've done so far
We have already kicked off the work. If you are a regular train user you will have already noticed:
- The modern electric Matangi trains have replaced the entire old Ganz Mavag fleet making taking the train more comfortable
- New stations at Tawa, Naenae, Paraparaumu and Upper Hutt add to your journey comfort
- We’ve make it easier access to rail with more park’n’rides and onboard wheelchair and bike space
- Improving punctuality. The new operator, Transdev Wellington (external link) is measured on tougher punctuality criteria which means better service for you
- Better real time information in train stations, at bus stops and on your mobile device keep you well informed about when your bus or train will arrive
- Immediate disruption and delay information keeps you informed so you can make alternative travel choices. You can sign up for these by setting up a My Metlink account (external link)
- The mobile-friendly www.metlink.org.nz incorporating real time data and better journey planning information
- New clearer signage at stops and in station all under the Metlink brand making public transport even easier to navigate.
What the future looks like
- Integrated tickets - one ticket for travel on buses, trains and harbour ferries
- New Zealand's first fully electric transport network
- Rapid bus spine meaning less congestion in the central city
- New Wellington City bus network