Greater Transport, Greater Wellington
Getting around the Greater Wellington region will be more reliable with more choice as a result of improvements to the region's public transport system.
We have been carrying out a thorough overhaul of the entire region’s public transport system that will deliver:
- Simplified routes, fares and better timed connections between services
- Comfortable travel in modern, emissions efficient bus and rail fleets
- Simplified fares so it’s easy to know what to pay
- One Metlink brand, making public transport easy to recognise and navigate
- Up-to-date travel information, including Real Time Information (RTI), which is up-to-the minute information on when a bus or train service is due to arrive at your stop or station, giving you more certainty about your journey
- Contracts with operators that improve reliability and punctuality
- Snapper cards will be accepted for travel on all buses and there are plans for a single electronic payment system for travel on buses, trains and harbour ferries, making paying and getting around easier and more convenient
What we've done so far
In 2016 we completed improvements to the Metlink rail service, which included a new fleet of modern electric trains, new stations, more park & rides, improved punctuality and better disruption and delay information.
What the future looks like
There is more to come - new bus operating contracts, new bus services and improvements to ticketing.
- From mid-2018, a new fleet of buses, which all accept Snapper cards, for the region and a new bus network for Wellington city. Read more about Wellington city's bus network.
- Integrated fares and ticketing - one payment method and fare structure for travel on buses, trains and harbour ferries
- New Zealand's first fully electric transport network
- Rapid bus spine meaning less congestion in the central city