Greater Transport, Greater Wellington
Getting around the Greater Wellington region will be easier, smarter and better as a result of improvements to the region’s public transport system over the next five years.
These changes are part of the Greater Transport, Greater Wellington public transport improvement programme - a $1.3b investment in the region's transport system by Greater Wellington Regional Council and the New Zealand Transport Agency.
Effective public transport is the lifeblood of the Greater Wellington region.
We are looking at a thorough overhaul of the entire region’s public transport system that will deliver:
- Simplified routes, fares and better timed connections between services meaning easier and faster journeys for you
- Comfortable travel in modern, emissions efficient bus and rail fleets
- Simplified fares making it easy to know what to pay
- One Metlink brand, making public transport easy to recognise and navigate
- Easier and timelier access to travel information, giving you more certainty about your journey
- Contracts with operators that improve reliability and punctuality, meaning less waiting for you
- A single smart card for buses and eventually, a single electronic payment system for travel on buses, trains and harbour ferries, to make paying and getting around even easier and more convenient
We have already kicked off the work. If you are a regular train user you will have already noticed improvements.
- The modern electric Matangi trains have replaced the entire old Ganz Mavag fleet making taking the train more comfortable
- New stations at Tawa, Naenae, Paraparaumu and Upper Hutt add to your journey comfort
- We’ve make it easier for you to access to rail with more Park & Rides and space on board for wheelchairs and bikes
- Improving punctuality. The operator, Transdev Wellington is measured on tougher punctuality criteria, which means a better service for you
- Immediate disruption and delay information keeps you informed so you can make alternative travel choices. You can sign up for these by setting up a My Metlink account
- The mobile-friendly www.metlink.org.nz uses Real Time Information to give you better journey planning at your fingertips
- A new Real Time app, Metlink Commuter, which also keeps you up to date with push notification alerts
There is more to come - new bus operating contracts, new bus services and improvements to ticketing.
- Integrated fares and ticketing - one payment method and fare structure for travel on buses, trains and harbour ferries
- New Zealand's first fully electric transport network
- Rapid bus spine meaning less congestion in the central city
- New mid-2018 Wellington City bus service and network