Cycling & Walking Journey Planner
Use the online Cycling and Walking journey planner to find:
- Detailed directions and points of interest along your route
- How hilly your route is
- The money you'll save and the calories you'll burn by walking and cycling
- The best route for your children to walk to school or kindergarten
- How long it will take to cycle or walk to your nearest train station
- The quickest or most scenic route to work
Hard copy regional cycling maps are available from i-Sites and local bike shops.
If you haven't been on a bicycle in a while, a bike buddy will ride with you along your route the first couple of times until you are ready to go it alone. Find out more and book a course at www.gw.govt.nz/bike-buddies (external link)
Pedal Ready is a cycle skills programme for schools and adults in the Wellington region. Training covers skills and exercises to build confidence on a bike in preparation for all your future riding. Find out more at pedalready.org.nz (external link)
Want to know more about the road rules?
For more information about cycling in the Wellington region go to www.gw.govt.nz/cycling/ (external link)
Spring to the Street (September/October)
Active a2b (January 1 - May)
Go by Bike Day (mid February)
Walk to Work day (mid March)
Movin' March - Schools active travel promotion (last week in March)
Parents might like to use this promotional period to try walking with their children to school and taking Public Transport to work from there.