Travelling with children
Children under 5 years old must be accompanied by a passenger who is at least 10 years old. Metlink welcomes passengers carrying children in prams, strollers and buggies (prams).
Buses, trains and ferries have varying capacities for prams, so different parts of the guidelines will apply depending on which vehicle you board.
Some general points:
- Most buses, trains, and ferries have good access for prams
- Prams may have to be folded in some circumstances.
- When a pram must be folded, the child(ren) must be seated with their carer
- Prams must not be placed in aisles, or anywhere else that could prevent other passengers getting on and off safely
- For safety and security reasons, staff members are not required to help passengers get on and off
- If a bus is capable of "kneeling" (lowering), the driver will kneel the bus to help passengers with prams get on and off
- The best time to travel with a pram is during off-peak hours
- All folded prams can be carried on board the bus replacement services when stored in the luggage areas, however, non fold-able prams may not be able to be carried on all bus replacements. Please talk to on-board staff when boarding.