New bus network for Wellington City
From 2018, more routes, more often, means more options for customers - Wellington City's new bus route network.
We’ve listened to customers and designed a network of bus routes where more people have easier access to more services when they want to travel.
There are new weekend services, travel times are faster on key routes and more people have direct routes to important destinations, like Wellington Hospital and Victoria University.
The new bus network will make taking the bus around Wellington easier, quicker and more convenient.
With a more flexible service in place, more people will choose the bus for their daily travel, creating more demand and less congestion. A win-win for all who travel.
Maps of the new network
Why change the network?
The city is changing. Customer expectations are changing. Our bus service must change to reflect that.
The current service structure provides inconsistent levels of service and customer experience to different areas of the city. Problems facing the network:
- Some areas are well serviced and some aren’t
- Some buses are not carrying a lot of people
- Services focus on peak-time commuters going to the CBD
- Journeys to other destinations are complicated and difficult to plan
- More people want to travel at weekends, through the day and to more destinations.
To support our growing vibrant city into the future, we undertook the first significant review of bus services in more than 20 years.
A bit of tweaking wasn’t the answer. Creating a service that is easier, smarter and better required a whole of network approach.
Find out more
- Key changes to existing routes
- Design of the new network
- Getting around on the new network - to the hospital and Victoria University
- Consultation - how have communities been involved in design of the new routes?
- New Wellington bus network FAQs
- Bus route information in your suburb from the GWRC website (external link)